If you are like me, a trip to the gym isn’t in the cards. I may have good intentions, but I know that my excuses will win the battle every time. Instead, I choose to walk which I find gets the job done. I do have a treadmill in our home that I use on cold snowy days; however, I much prefer walking outside. There is something about a beautiful day and a long walk that is beneficial in so many ways.
It is suggested that you walk at least 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week for the following benefits:
- Strengthens and tones muscles relating to your spine; less back pain.
- Strengthens muscles and tendons in your feet; less foot pain.
- Builds stronger bones which can assists in the prevention of osteoporosis.
- Provides more oxygen to your brain and releases natural mood-elevating chemical.
- Provides more oxygen to your lungs.
- Tones the muscles in your legs.
- Tones your abdominals.
Every couple of weeks, challenge yourself to push a little harder, walk a little faster and maybe try a few hills. Enlist a few of your friends to join you and together enjoy all that nature has to offer.