Lemon water is our new favorite drink. Refreshing, clean, no calories, and healthy, this is our drink of choice.
Growing up in California, I remember the abundance of lemon, lime and other citrus trees in our very own backyard and everywhere around So. California. Just seeing the fruit with its beautiful bright yellow rind brings back fond memories of childhood.
Here are just a few of the health benefits of lemon water:
- Lemon water helps clean the toxins out of your body.
- Lemon can help relieve many digestion problems when mixed with hot water.
- Because of its high Vitamin C content, it is used to prevent and treat many infections, hasten wound healing, and diminish allergies.
- Lemon is a diuretic.
- Lemon water cleanses and purifies your body and also has an alkalizing effect.
- Lemon is also very good at clarifying your hair to remove hair product build up.
Always look for lemons that are bright yellow in color and look fresh. Lemons with a thicker peel have less pulp and juice; lemons with thinner skin have more pulp and more juice. If none of the lemons at your store look fresh, just buy the cutesy little plastic lemons that contain lemon juice. They’ll work fine until you can get the ‘real thing’!
*Cautionary note – If you are considering using RealLemon lemon juice, you should be aware that it contains sulfites. One of my readers wrote in about her bad experience with it. Who knew? I’ve used this product in the past and never had a bad reaction from it, but if you are allergic to sulfites like I am, this is good information to know. A good substitute would be to use the powdered lemon juice packets instead.
And lemon water is so simple! Here’s how we make it:
- Wash your lemon before using. Rinse.
- Take the juice of 1/2 of a lemon or lime and squeeze into a 12 oz. glass. Drop the 1/2 lemon into your glass after squeezing.
- Add a pack of Stevia if desired. This gives it more of a lemonade or limeade taste.
- Fill glass with cold water for a refreshing drink. You can also use room temperature or warm water for more of a cleansing drink.
- You can also re-squeeze the first lemon half for another glass of drink. Use fork tines to ream out the pulp from the original half. You’ll have enough for another glass! Repeat steps 2-4.