Wasps, hornets and yellow jackets are more dangerous than a honey bee. There have been deaths in the United States as a result of allergic reactions to their venom. Caution is advised when dealing with these little pests. The following is some information that may be useful:
- When grilling outside, wasps are attracted to protein foods.
- Don’t leave your pet’s food outdoors, it will attract them.
- Late summer and early fall wasps love anything sweet and are more aggressive.
- Rotting fruit from your fruit trees attract wasps.
- Bright colored clothes attract wasps.
- Perfumes will attract wasps.
- Wasps love yellow lights.
- If you step on and kill a wasp, it releases pheromones that will attract other wasps.
- If you attempt to remove a nest, do so only at night.
- Never burn a nest; you will have many very angry wasps.
They can be dangerous especially around young children, so handle them with respect. It is suggested that you get professional help in removing wasps and their nests around your home.