Who knew!! Radishes are quite the little miracle worker. A radish is a root vegetable that comes in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. You have your Globe radish, Black radish, White Icicle radish, Mammoth White radish, and Daikon radish. Radishes are rich in folic acid and potassium. They are a great source of calcium, magnesium, riboflavin, copper, vitamin B-6 and vitamin C. Here are just a few health benefits that come from eating your radishes:
- Helps in maintaining a healthy liver and gallbladder
- Improves digestion
- Helps with constipation
- Enhances appetite (not necessarily what I’m looking for!)
- Detoxifies and purifies the blood
- Fights against certain cancers
- As a diuretic, radishes can help keep the kidneys healthy
- As an anti-congestive, radishes can relieve congestion and infection in the respiratory system
I love radishes! I don’t know why I don’t eat them more often, but with this information, you can bet I will be eating a lot more!! Thanks, Aunt Billie for the heads up and all your research on this topic.
TIP: Placing your radishes in ice water will increase their flavor and keep them crisp.