With everyone struggling to make ends meet, we are always looking for an inexpensive ingredient that can pull double duty…baking soda does just that! Aside from using it in baking and keeping odors at bay in the refrigerator, here are some other uses:
- Kills carpet odors…sprinkle baking soda on your carpets then vacuum.
- Removes wine stains from carpet…add a little baking soda to the stain and blot.
- Cleans toxins off your fresh produce…place your fresh fruits and veggies into water and baking soda, clean and rinse well.
- Don’t forget about your freezer! Throw a box in to absorb less than desirable odors.
- Drain cleaner…pour about one half cup of baking soda down the drain followed by a one half cup of white vinegar. Let it sit for about 1 to 2 hours then rinse with hot water. It is not as powerful as your commercial drain cleaners, but it may help keep your drains clean and clear if you use it every few weeks to help prevent build up.
- Bee stings and bug bites…mix a paste with water and baking soda to treat the bite area. It is said to take the sting out of the bite!
- Cleans enamelware…add about 2 to 3 tablespoons of baking soda with enough water to cover the bottom of your pan and allow to boil for one to two minutes. Let it sit for an hour before wiping clean.
- Kill orders in old books…sprinkle a little baking soda between the pages and let it sit for a day or two, then just brush out the baking soda for a fresher smelling book.
- Kills weeds…sprinkle large amounts of baking soda into the cracks of your sidewalks, pavers, and driveway to kill weeds. I plan to try this one out this summer—I will let you know how well it works.
- Removes mildew from shower curtains…machine wash on a gentle cycle with about one half cup of baking soda. Hang to dry.
Next week we will talk about baking soda use in our laundry. Keep the ideas coming!!