There’s nothing better than a big pot of chili with cornbread. Try this recipe—make up a large batch and freeze it for another day.
- 2 lbs coarse ground beef or lean chuck roast (cut into ¼ inch cubes)
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans
- Large can of pureed tomatoes
- 1 bottle of beer (your favorite)
- 2 cups water
- 1 large finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp. red pepper sauce
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the meat until tender; in another pot cook the beans until they are tender. Add the water, tomatoes and onions to the meat, bring to a boil and then let simmer for an hour. Add the remaining ingredients except for the beans. Let simmer 1 hour. Add the beans last.
Don’t forget the cornbread!